INDIANAPOLIS — Chef Dean Sample from The Burgess Restaurant Group took home the top award at Taste of Elegance, an annual culinary event hosted by Indiana Pork.
His dish was a tenderloin Wellington with pickle duxelles, root beer glazed pork belly, bacon fat fried potatoes, frisée salad with bacon vinaigrette, pork rind crumble and a mustard aioli.
“Chef Sample is a great competitor at Taste of Elegance,” said Jeanette Merritt, Indiana Pork spokesperson.
“Chef Sample grew up on a corn and soybean farm and understands the importance of Indiana agriculture. He is a great advocate for Indiana pork and features it in many different ways on his menus.”
His dish was inspired by a summer trip to his family’s favorite root beer spot.
Other winning chefs include:
• Superior Chef Award — Second Place: Steven Hackney, Indianapolis.
• Premium Chef Award — Third Place: Erin Oeschle, Chef “E” Suppler Club, Indianapolis.
• Wine Pairing Award: Steven Hackney, Indianapolis.
• People’s Choice Award — Favorite Entrée: Dean Sample, Burgess Restaurant Group, Indianapolis.
• People’s Choice Award — Favorite Display: Cole Padgett, Taxman, Fortville.
• People’s Choice Award — Favorite Wine: Ash & Elm Cider, Indianapolis.