Water is a vital natural resource. There are a variety of ways to reduce the amount of polluted water that runs off of lawns and into waterways.
Here are a few ideas from Purdue Extension:
1. Install rain barrels at home.
2. Construct bio-retention areas like a rain garden.
3. Disconnect downspouts from storm sewers and redirect into lawns or gardens.
4. Protect existing trees and plants that use the water.
5. Plant buffer strips around water bodies.
For more ideas visit https://extension.purdue.edu/rainscaping.