There was a lot of planting progress this week. We were lucky and missed a couple of the rains and only received 0.2” of rain, which allowed us to finish planting beans Saturday night. It’s a good feeling being able to get the rest of our crop in the ground. We do have a few wet holes that we need to spot in, though.

Last week, I mentioned we had hail damage on 50 acres of beans already planted and all our corn acres. The corn has recovered nicely, but there ended up being 40% to 45% damage on the beans, and we did have to replant those acres. Usually, we no-till our beans, but we were having issues with closing the furrow and poor seed placement, so we field cultivated our bean ground.

We also received permission from Natural Resources Conservation Service to field cultivate our highly erodible bean ground. As much as I don’t like working our highly erodible ground, it was needed in order to get the beans planted. The beans we planted last week Monday, we could row in six days. My neighbors planted corn next to my house last Tuesday, and I could row it five days later. Last week, we borrowed our neighbor’s six-row mounted planter and replanted corn that had drowned out from all the rain over the past two months. We replanted roughly 40 acres of corn.

Most of our corn acres have been post sprayed, and our retailer is getting ready to start spraying our beans. I hope they can get our beans sprayed before the June 30 deadline for dicamba. A few years ago we had problems with resistant weeds and since we’ve been able to utilize dicamba our fields have been very clean and I’m hoping this year will not be any different.

At home we finally were able to have some baseball games and we started the tournament this week so baseball will be winding down in the next couple of weeks. Hope everyone is having a safe planting season and are getting close to finishing as well.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments