We griped about the rain and wet weather all year. Well, it finally spun to the other side. We logged a couple of tenths of an inch of rain all month. We have had less than half an inch in the past 50 days. When you throw in the heat and wind that has plagued us for the past several weeks, it makes for a drought situation. The grass has all went dormant and the water holes and creeks are drying up. Southern Illinois weather can flip to the other extreme in such a short time.

We have set out some hay to some of the brood herd and most all of the younger stock. Fortunately, the hay season was a huge success. Quantity was more than normal. Quality was lacking, but with the extra supply on hand, dipping into it earlier than expected shouldn’t affect the stockpile too much.

We completed the hand feeding on the brood herd this past week. Putting the CTC in a cube and force feeding it for 60 days has worked well, so far. Since we started doing this last year, there has not been any anaplasmosis issues that we have seen. It seems that the chlortetracycline still has some control on this terrible disease.

I tried to save a few dollars this year and go with the lower grade of fly tags and insect control. I really didn’t see much of a difference from years before. There isn’t anything that controls the big horse flies. They are a major carrier of diseases. It is hard to look the other way when you see the stress that it all puts on the animals, but there is a threshold that is considered normal. We are on the tail end of the fly season and the herd and I are sure ready. We still use parasitic wasps in the finishing barn to control the flies and that has been very effective.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments