If you were paying close attention last week, I wrote that Bart got all the full-season beans sprayed a second time, except for 14 acres. You were probably thinking he ran out of chemical or it was too wet, something logical like that. Oh, golly no. The leaf springs and airbag fell out from under the driver’s side of the poor ol’ red chev. But “we” couldn’t let it die, oh, no. So I’m fairly certain the newly made leaf springs are worth more than the truck as a whole, but Bart couldn’t be happier. Why? Well, if you ask him, he will explain how that repair cost is less than 100 acres of custom application from any of the local providers and how the red chev is good to go again for a countless number of acres. Personally, I think he gets some twisted satisfaction from repairing what the average Joe would tow to the junkyard.

All kidding aside, this has been Bart’s work ethic our entire farming career. We have some better machinery now — obviously not a sprayer — but he has made do with whatever we happen to have at any given time. Many a night he has wrenched on equipment so we could farm with it the next day. And because he could make it work, we made it through, even in some really lean years when other farmers had to call it quits. So I may razz him about old rust from time to time, but old rust has paid our bills much of our married life, and I would be amiss if I didn’t say how proud I am of his work ethic and his ingenuity.

With the remaining 14 acres of full-season beans sprayed, the next on the spraying to-do list will be the last two fields of double-crop beans. They were in need of a shower as they were drilled in dank ground and then subjected to a heat burst with no rain, and I had a feeling that they were going to get the drink they needed by the way the rain crow was carrying on. They received a half inch of rain on July 20. However, I had no idea that they were going to get the 5 inches of rain they got during the late-night hours of July 21.

The corn is tasseled and pollinating. It looks so very promising at this time. I’ve been staring at the stalks outside our kitchen window and finally decided to take a tape measure out to the field. The stalks are over nine and a half feet tall! I can’t wait to measure the ears! Talk to me@ mfexpress@hughes.net.